Are you brushing twice a day and flossing, but still feel like you want to do more to improve your oral health? If so, here are some tips from Dr. Anthony Marra and his team at Huntersville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry near Davidson, NC to maintain excellent oral health and a beautiful smile!
- Consume Extra Calcium – You need high amounts of calcium to support healthy teeth and gums. You can find high amounts of calcium in foods such as almonds, canned sardines and canned salmon, and dairy products with low fat levels. You may also consider eating foods with vitamin D to help absorb the calcium, such as salmon, margarine, and milk. Not consuming enough calcium can increase your risk of developing gum disease over time.
- Take Care of Your Tongue – Bacteria builds up on the surface of your tongue, collected by the tiny bumps on the surface called papillae. The bacteria that get trapped in the papillae cause bad breath, and can be redeposited onto your gums and your teeth. This puts you at risk for extra plaque buildup. To clean your tongue, you can gently scrub it with your toothbrush, or use a tongue scraper.
- Use a Water Flosser – The motor and the pump in a water flosser create a steady stream of pressurized water that flows through the tip of the flosser into your mouth. The pressurized water is typically able to remove more plaque and bacteria than regular floss. Use before brushing to thoroughly loosen any food particles in your teeth and gums.
- Limit Tobacco Use – Tobacco use leads to many potential problems inside the mouth. Tobacco products can cause bad breath and stained teeth, gum disease, mouth and throat cancer, dulled sense of taste, tooth decay, and receding gums. The only effective way to lower your risk of the dental problems associated with tobacco use is to quit smoking cigarettes and cigars, and chewing tobacco.
- Frequent Dental Checkups – It is recommended that you visit your dentist for a checkup and cleaning about every 6 months. It’s important to get your teeth professionally cleaned to remove any plaque buildup, check for cavities, and make sure there are no signs of gum disease.
If you’re looking for a dentist near Davidson, NC, consider Dr. Anthony Marra at Huntersville Family & Cosmetic Dentistry. Dr. Marra and his team happily serve Davidson residents and all of the Lake Norman area, as well as Charlotte – please call today for an appointment.